Tuesday, May 10, 2011

From one dog owner to all the others.





I am just curious how other people handle these sorts of situations which we seem to run into more because of having Scotties. My dogs are on leash 90% of time and when it comes to Porter 99.9% of the time and when they are walking together they are a little difficult to handle at times. What makes it worse though is encountering off-leash dogs while the boys are on leash, lets just say they don't react well lots of barking and posturing even with all the work I have done with Porter and his reactivness when they are together it's quite a lot of work. When I tell other people that ohh by the way my dogs don't like being approached by off-leash dogs while they are on-leash, they just laugh it off then have a minor freak out when the dogs react the way they do even if I anticipate their reaction and try to avoid the situation or behavior all together. They treat me like my dogs are out of control which okay they aren't the best behaved but we try lol. Is it just my dogs? Am I the irresponsible dog owner? I just feel like my dogs are on-leash by law so maybe you shouldn't give me a problem. Any suggestions or comments. To add, Ernest is enrolled in class for June (Porter has taken 2 classes) and separately they behave quite well or when they are each being walked by separate people.

7 comments:

  1. No, you aren't out of line. Dogs are supposed to be on leads or under control. Bella is an embarrassment when on lead. She wants to take everyone on--yet, very friendly when off. Daisy and Kendra are fine.

    XXXOOO Daisy, kendra & Bella

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always on a leash and no you arent wrong. I go biserk when a dog comes over, and it drives mom crazy. I am barking like crazy but I just want to be friendly, I dont want to hurt the other dog. Yah, if you say something to them ,they will blame it all one your dog, cuz yours are barking cuz theirs arent on a leash!!DA!! they just need to go by the laws or keep their dog home!!

    wags
    Jazzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live in the middle of a large farm and Mom walks us on leash just like we were city dogs - and occasionally we see a deer or hear another animal and we go bonkers - it's just the breed!! We are hunters and barkers. Our Mom thinks all dogs should be leash trained, regardless of where one lives. It makes her crazy to see a 6 month old dog fighting the owner over the leash. Our Sweet Babes will experience leashes and crates before they leave us.


    XOXO
    Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh, Ruairi and The Sweet Babes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!! I think you've gotten some great thoughts here, so I won't add anything, other than to tell you that you're right, your dogs are on the leash and you're doing the right thing. When we lived in a subdivision and we encountered other dogs that had gotten loose or weren't on a leash, and my dogs went crazy, I always tried to keep it positive and not react negatively because it kept my dogs from getting upset too and they didn't learn that becoming reactive was 'okay' to do. I know this is easier said than done when it's pure chaos and pandemonium, but as you know, they look to you for cues, and when you're upset, so are they...Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I don't think you are doing anything wrong! My two Scotties are the very same way. I'm pretty sure dogs are suppose to be on leash by law, so you are most definitely in the right. I think people with other breeds of dogs just don't understand!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right - being on a leash is a must and the law here. Dogs on leash will react differently than when off the leash - I heard once that they are "connected" to you when on leash and feel the necessity to protect their owner. When off leash, it's another story!! They don't have that protective urge.
    Judie, Duncan & Hamish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there you guys. I had trouble leaving a comment, so We posted about it today. Come on over and visit Us.

    Arroooo! Stuart

    ReplyDelete